With last years inaugural event a runaway success, the well-connected team behind Hashtag Burgers are itching to bring Burgapalooza 2017 and stretching it to much bigger scale. Whereas last year’s burger-focused festival was rooted in Manning Bar, this year brings the two-day eat-a-thon to Marrickville’s leafy Fraser Park (after nonsensical complaints from Newtown locals) with a beastly line-up made from some of the best in the business.
Set for both Sat 1st and Sun 2nd of April, Burgapalooza will be packing a serious punch with the likes of In-N-Out homage Down ‘N Out (Sydney CBD), fast rising newcomers Burger Head (Penrith), food truck favourite Mister Gee (Haberfield) and the great Superior Burger (Wakeley), the Western Sydney joint from the one and only Jovan Curic (Pub Life Kitchen). All burgers offered will be $10 and especially served up as smaller versions (think halfway between a slider and a regular burger) so punters can get across all their favourites without having to worry about their stomach; although this isn’t the place you want to be if you’re counting calories, as the festival is also going to feature Newtown-born Black Star Pastry, the creative folk at Grumpy Donuts (how does ‘loaded donut fries’ sound to you?) and the beloved N2 Gelato (who will have milkshakes), as well as a little surprise stall from The Halal Snack Pack Appreciation Society.
What’s more is that all the burger chefs will be doing up an exclusive creation for the festival, as is tradition for these kinds of events. And the so-far-confirmed menu looks mighty promising.
- BL Burgers: “Power of Juan” (BL beef pattie, American cheese, Tequila and Agave bacon jam, Jalapeno jelly, pickled Spanish onion, avocado aioli, coral lettuce).
- Down ‘N Out: “The OMG Burger” (beef and bone marrow pattie, porcini bacon butter sauce, crispy onions, garlic aioli, seeded bun).
- Mister Gee: “Happy Ending” (grass-fed beef patty, havarti cheese, caramelised onion and brie, truffle mustard, pickles, lime mayo).
- Burger Head: “Beef and Hash” (angus beef patty, bacon and cheese stuffed hash, diet running gravy, BH sauce, dill pickles).
- Superior Burger: “Piggy Back” (house made salt aged beef, McClures pickles, fermented pork jowl nduja, smoked maple mustard, cheese, organic bun)
With the festival’s growth, a number of partners have come on board for this year. Coors will be supplying some drinks to keep everyone buzzed, the Hashtag Burgers DJs will be providing a soundtrack for the event, Menulog will be offering $10 vouchers with every $15 entry ticket, and the team behind the Burger Collective smartphone app will be putting on a bunch of games and competitions.
When: April 1 & 2 from 12pm–9pm
Where: Fraser Park; 100 Marrickville Road
Tickets: $15 from HERE.
Feature image: BL Burgers