The ARIA Awards return to Channel Ten tonight at 7.30pm and we’ll be live from the event all day, bringing you all the action from red carpet and backstage on Twitter. Stay tuned to the hashtag #AUxARIAs for all the updates. So what can you expect from the awards tonight? Here’s a few of the latest announcements to bring you up to date:
– One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer will be there to perform live on stage. Madness is sure to ensue on the streets of Sydney, out the front of The Star Event Centre as they walk the red carpet. But you’ll have to tune in to the broadcast to see them – because tickets to the event have completely sold out!
– British singer songwriter Charli XCX will attend the Awards as a presenter. Charli XCX features on, and co-wrote, Iggy Azalea’s #1 Billboard hit, ‘Fancy’ which is nominated in the public-voted Song Of The Year category.
– This year’s ARIA Industry Icon Award will be presented to Denis Handlin AM, Chairman & CEO, Australia & New Zealand and President, Asia. The award will be presented by his long-time friend and industry colleague Molly Meldrum, with Jessica Mauboy at the ARIA pre show Chairman’s Cocktail Party. The award is made in recognition of Denis’ outstanding contribution to the development of the Australian music industry, in particular Australian artists and industry copyright and reform matters.
– Fans can get closer than ever to the glitz, glamour and behind the scenes action of the awards with CRASHTHEARIAS.COM, a digital experience for mobile, tablets and PCs, developed by presenting partner Telstra. Scott Tweedie will host.
– In addition to 1D and 5SOS, performers include: Chet Faker, Dan Sultan, Hilltop Hoods, Jessica Mauboy, Melbourne Ska Orchestra, Sheppard plus Neil Finn and Paul Kelly in what’s sure to be an incredible performance.
– Justice Crew will be performing live on the red carpet.
– Osher Günsberg, or the TV host formerly known as Andrew G, will be hosting the night.
– Spotify have predicted some of the winners, based on streaming popularity. They are:
lbum of the Year: Chet Faker – Built on Glass
Song of the Year: Iggy Azalea feat. Charlie XCX – Fancy
Breakthrough Release: Iggy Azalea – The New Classic
Best Male Artist: Chet Faker
Best Female Artist: Iggy Azalea
At last week’s NZ Music Awards, Spotify correctly predicted four out of the five major categories – so they could be on to something…
Tune in to the ARIAs on Channel Ten from 7.30pm and check out the hashtag #AUxARIAs for all our own action from red carpet, backstage and the show…