Brisbane’s 4-piece, Beddy Rays have today released their self-titled debut album. The band, from Redland (Reddy) Bay has been cranking out the hits, and continuing with the puns, since the breakout single “Sobercoaster” in 2020. That release has racked up an astonishing 3.5 million streams.
They’ve got to the stage of delivering their debut album relatively quickly, and it’s fair to say with a full sail and plenty of excitement. “When we started a band many years ago as young whipper snappers in Reddy Bay all we wanted to do was play gigs, sink tins and chat to all the legends we’d meet along the way. Now we have our very own album firmly in our grip, and to say we’re excited is a major understatement. We decided to go with a self-titled album for our debut because we believe this album IS Beddy Rays through-and-through. It’s made up of our recent singles and a bunch of brand newies we’ve been cooking up for you legends. A nice mixed bag of lollies! We hope you love it as much as we do!”
The album was produced by Brock Western and Beddy Rays, and was recorded at Brock’s place in Brisbane.
The band comprises vocalist, guitarist and Woppaburra descendent Jacko Van Issum, lead guitarist Lewy McKenna, bassist Brad O’Connor and drummer Benny Wade.
To celebrate the release of the album, Beddy Rays have announced a national tour in August and September. Dates and ticket links are below. They’ve also scheduled a bunch of record-store signings. The details for these are also below.
Finally, the band has put together ten little-known facts about the band. So do press <Play>, crank it up loud and read on to arm yourself with the facts about these favourite sons of Redland Reddy Bay.
10 Things You Didn’t Know about Beddy Rays
1. The whole time we were at school together, we were never all in the same class at once.
2. All four members are qualified tradesmen.
3. Brad can sing the Pokémon theme song in Finnish and the Dragonball Z theme song in Japanese.
4. When we were young, Lewy once rolled his ankle on an avocado and missed footy training. Jacko still reminds him about it to this day.
5. Ben learnt to play the drums from the Guitar Hero World Tour drum set.
6. Jacko wrote his first song in grade 7 about one of our teachers.
7. We’ve all lived together but never all together at once.
8. Our first flight as a band was an international flight to Thailand to play with Dune Rats, Hockey Dad and Verge Collection in 2019.
9. We’re most likely younger than you think we are.
10. We still rehearse in Reddy Bay even though none of us live there at the moment.
Record Store Appearances, Performances & Signings
Friday 29 July @ 4:30pm | Sonic Sherpa
Location: 12/360 Logan Rd, Stones Corner QLD
Sunday 31 July @ 3:00pm | Howl and Moan Records
Location: Shop 4/103 Jonson St, Byron Bay NSW
Monday 1 August @ 4:00pm | Rudderless Records
Location: Shop 1/148 Parry St, Newcastle West NSW
Tuesday 2 August @ 5:00pm | Resist Records
Location: 38 Chapel Street Marrickville NSW
Wednesday 3 August @ 4:30pm | Music Farmers Records
Location: 228 Keira St, Wollongong NSW
Thursday 4 August @ 4:30pm | Oh! Jean Records
Location: 276 Nicholson St, Fitzroy VIC 3065
National Album Tour
Presented by Select Music and Artists Only – Tickets on sale now via www.beddyrays.com
Saturday 13 August | Solbar, Maroochydore QLD*
Friday 26 August | Freo Social, Perth WA*
Saturday 27 August | The Gov, Adelaide SA
Thursday 1 September | Burleigh Bazaar, Gold Coast QLD
Friday 02 September | Princess Theatre, Brisbane QLD
Saturday 03 September | Beach Hotel, Byron Bay NSW
Friday 9 September | UC Hub, Canberra ACT
Saturday 10 September | Altar Bar, Hobart TAS
Thursday 15 September | La La Las, Wollongong NSW
Friday 16 September | Cambridge Hotel, Newcastle NSW
Saturday 17 September | The Factory Theatre, Sydney NSW
Thursday 22 September | 170 Russell, Melbourne VIC
Friday 23 September | Torquay Hotel, Torquay VIC
*Bakers Eddy not appearing
Header image credit: Tim Lambert