StarCraft, Blizzard’s evergreen (and only surviving) real time strategy series is turning 20 next month. If, like me, you were there and wondering if your Pentium 133 would run the game when it launched in 1998, you may be reading this in the grip of an existential crisis, horrified by the relentless passage of time. Not to worry, grizzled veterans of the Koprulu campaign, Blizzard’s giving away free StarCraft themed goodies across all of their games to soften the blow.
Here’s what you can expect if you log into your fave Blizzard games across the month of April, striaght from the press release:
- StarCraft II: Log in to earn Remastered Terran, Zerg, and Protoss console skins, a 20 years of StarCraft portrait, a 20 Years of StarCraft achievement, and 20 Years of Terran, Zerg, and Protoss decals.
- StarCraft Remastered: A new console skin awaits those who log in during the StarCraft 20th Anniversary.
- Heroes of the Storm: Log in to earn Protoss, Zerg, and Terran portraits and test your mettle in StarCraft-themed Brawls. Also, be on the lookout for a new Hero from the StarCraft universe coming to the Nexus soon.
- Diablo III: Call down the Hyperion to Tristram—in a manner of speaking—with the new Battlecruiser Pet.
- World of Warcraft: Recognition for WoW players who /salute one of the following StarCraft-themed companion pets: Zergling, Grunty, Mini Thor, Baneling, or Zeradar.
- Overwatch: One of the Dominion’s deadliest Ghosts meets Talon’s ruthless assassin with the new Kerrigan Widowmaker skin.
- Hearthstone: Get ready for a StarCraft-inspired Tavern Brawl later this month.
Personally, I’m still waiting for my Swarm Queen Kerrigan Symmetra, Tychus Reinhardt and Jim Raynor Soldier:76 but we’ll get there.
Blizzard will also be dropping a short film called StarCraft is Life on April 1st, a short documentary on the game, its creation featuring testimonials from fans and pro players around the world. They’ll also be running a huge live stream over March 31 and April 1 to celebrate the game’s birthday with longtime StarCraft community faves Day9, Tasteless, Artosis and iNControl over at the official StarCraft Twitch channel.
You can find out more about all the freebies and what you’ve gotta do to get them over at the official StarCraft site. What’s more, if you feel like a trip in the way-back machine you can download and play the original StarCraft and its Brood War expansion for free via the Battle.net app (or drop $22 for the shiny remastered version with updated visuals, higher res and improved unit pathfinding).
Happy anniversary, StarCraft. Our lives, as ever, for Aiur.