Next Friday, the In The House series at the Event Cinemas on George Street in Sydney will be screening the Pixar classic Toy Story (book tickets HERE).
In anticipation, we looked back at the film to bring you these 8 facts that you may have never known about one of our favorite movies of all time:
- Toy Story was the first animated film to be nominated for Best Screenplay Academy Award in Oscar History
- Facial features of Buzz Lightyear were made to resemble the film’s director John Lasseter, especially his brows, cheekbones and chin dimples.
- Weezy the Penguin didn’t make an appearance until Toy Story 2 even though he was originally going to be in the first film
- Buzz Lightyear was to be voiced by Billy Crystal, but he declined the offer. He later said that, that decision was the worst he had ever made in his career.
- The movie was originally going to be called “You Are A Toy.” Other names suggested were, “The Cowboy and the Spaceman,” “I’m With Stupid” and “Did Not, Did Too.”
- Toy brands initially turned away requests from the film, to feature their toys such as GI Joe and Barbie. In Toy Story 2, Mattel gave permission to allow Barbie to appear in the film
- Before he was named Buzz Lightyear, he had a history of names like Tempus From Morph and Lunar Larry.
- In the beginning of Toy Story, the plot was to be entirely different, centering on a character called Tinny, a toy who is lost during a family holiday, and would eventually stumble across Woody who would help him home.
For more details about In The House and this screening, head HERE.