It’s time to get in the kitchen, pack that mental suitcase, and travel with your taste buds all the way to Monaco’s most iconic five-star hotel. The famous Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo, a Gold List regular and one of this writer’s long-time dream stays, has lifted the lid on how to make their super smooth traditional chocolate soufflé.
The recipe, which comes from Le Grill should only take you 13 minutes and is portioned to serve four people.
- 5 egg yolks
- 500ml whole milk
- 100g caster sugar
- 65g all purpose flour
- 400g egg whites (1 egg white = 30g)
- 200g caster sugar
- 20g butter
- 85g cocoa powder
- 400g pastry cream
- 10g icing sugar and cocoa powder at the end on the top
- Bring the whole milk to boil in a pan.
- Mix egg yolks, caster sugar and the flour.
- Pour the boiling milk into mixture and replace it over low heat.
- Take two cake moulds, butter and sugar them.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- At the last moment, add caster sugar to strengthen the egg whites.
- Add to the pastry cream: cocoa powder and, smoothly, the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into cake moulds and bake it directly for 13 minutes at 200°C.
- Right out of the oven, sprinkle with icing sugar and cocoa powder.
Image supplied by Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo.