Take your taste buds to the middle of the French Riviera and plant yourself in one of the world’s most luxurious destinations. That’s Monaco of course, the iconic city-state of every well-heeled traveller’s dreams and home to some of the ritziest bars in Europe. Don’t let the elegance fool you though; Monaco is serious about the art of mixology, and you’ll find it everywhere from some of the world’s most famous luxury hotels to sleek hidden gems.
La Vie en Rose” by Hotel Metropole Monte-Carlo
Glamorous, elegant and cosy, the Lobby Bar at five-star Hotel Metropole Monte-Carlo, located right in the heart of Monaco, offers the opportunity to indulge in delicious treats inspired by Joël Robuchon whilst sipping a delicious cocktail or enjoying a laid-back lunch or dinner. The architect Jacques Garcia reinvented the bar and lobby area to create an open space where guests can sit back and relax, read a good book or simply sip on polished cocktails like the petite La Vie en Rose.
– 20ml Saint Germain (can be replaced by either a violent or rose liqueur)
– 10ml rose syrup
– Candied rose petal
– 140ml Champagne (your favourite brand will do)
1. Simply add all the ingredients to the Champagne.
“Monaco Garden” by Columbus Monte-Carlo Bar
Guests and locals alike can enjoy this sleek, cosy bar which pays homage to the classic cocktail culture. As one of Monaco’s hidden gems in the local Fontvieille district, Columbus Monte-Carlo Bar is well-equipped to show off the city’s favourite concoctions like this signature Monaco Garden.
– 40ml orange liqueur de l’Orangerie
– 20ml white rum
– 20ml fresh lemon juice
– 20ml sugar syrup
– 8-9 dandelion leaves
– egg white (or aquafaba for vegans)
1. Muddle dendelion with sugar syrup and lemon.
2. Add all ingredients.
3. Hard shake, fill the shaker with ice and shake again.
4. Strain into short glass with ice.
5. Garnish with lime zest and flowers.
“La Roseraie” by Bar Américain at Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo
While there are many worthy five-star hotels in Monaco, few have the worldly repute of Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo. And it’s not just because of the stunning guest rooms. Step inside the property’s acclaimed Bar Américain for a jazzy ambiance that feels lifted straight from the world of The Great Gatsby, famed for a relentless live music program and signature cocktails like the Princess Grace Kelly-inspired La Roseraie.
– 30ml Vodka infused with rose (suggestion here)
– 30ml homemade rhubarb syrup (recipe below)
– 50ml cranberry juice
– 15ml lemon juice
– 10ml Champagne
1. Make the rhubarb syrup first. Clean, peel and cut into pieces one rhubarb. Add powdered sugar.
2. Bring water to boil and put rhubarb in pot.
3. Leave to cool and naturally this will become a rhubarb confit.
4. Mix the rhubarb confit and filter it to get syrup.
5. Mix with other ingredients.
Image supplied by Visit Monaco.