This week in the music industry: Music NSW announced the launch of their new music industry panel series Sound Advice, and APRA AMCOS won Australian Disputes Centre’s Corporate Team of the Year Award.
Sound Advice by Music NSW
This year, Music NSW are launching Sound Advice, a new panel discussion and masterclass series aimed at artists, managers and emerging music industry professionals looking to get a foot in the industry.
With an overarching aim to demystify the inner workings of the music industry, Sound Advice will cover a range of topics such as; identifying the various career pathways available for artists, personal tell-all talks from various musicians about their experiences in the industry, as well as tips on how to survive as a contemporary musician in a highly competitive industry.
The very first event announced is the Band Necessities panel discussion, covering everything from how to start a band, landing your first gig, all the way to handling tax and performance returns. The second event is the Music Industry Speed Dating, where industry insiders will come together to discuss the wide range of jobs available within the music industry and share stories about how they got their start in the music business. More information on the Sound Advice series and RSVP details for the first two free events can be found HERE.
APRA AMCOS recognised for their Resolution Pathways project
This week, the Australasian Performing Right Association and Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (APRA AMCOS) received the Australian Disputes Centre’s ADR Corporate Team of the Year Award for their achievements through the Resolution Pathways project.
Created by Shirli Kirschner from Resolve Advisors, the Resolution Pathways project was launched in 2015 to help APRA AMCOS members and licensees resolve various disagreements in a quick and fair manner. The program offers free consultation sessions to disputing parties, where an experienced external dispute facilitator offers advice on the most suitable method of resolution for the particular issue at hand.
In a press release, APRA AMCOS’ Head of Legal, Corporate & Policy, Jonathan Carter said the aim of the program was ” to provide a fair, independent and transparent dispute resolution process that gives a voice to music creators and music users and streamlines the resolution of those parties’ disputes before they escalate unnecessarily”.
More information on the Resolution Pathways program can be found HERE.
Artist Applications for EMCPlay 2016 close on Sunday
EMCPlay are shutting the window for artists to apply to be part of the 2016 event this Sunday night. The event is taking over Sydney from November 28th through until December 2nd, with the multi-venue showcase night featuring sets from 30 local acts! Head HERE to apply.
Acclaimed film composer and singer songwriter Jed Kurzel has inked a huge deal with Music Sales, who will now be representing for Kurzel when it comes to publishing rights for his upcoming and prior works. Kurzel, known for his work on Snowtown and Slow West, is currently working on scoring Assassin’s Creed: Time Out of Mind in London.
Applications to showcase at the 2017 St Kilda Festival are now open. With over 400,000 visitors, the St Kilda Festival, which will be held on Sunday August 12, 2017 is Australia’s largest free music festival. Showcase applications for the 2017 event will close on Friday September 30, 2016 at 5pm. Information on how to apply can be found HERE.
AIR 100% Independent Singles Chart
- Flume feat. Tove Lo – Say It
- Sia – Cheap Thrills
- Big Scary – The Opposite Of Us
- Flume feat. Kai – Never Be Like You
- Ta-ku & Wafia – Love Somebody
- Sia – Chandelier
- Hayden James – Just a Lover
- Northeast Party House – For You
- Sia – Alive
- Emma Louise – West End Kids
AIR 100% Independent Albums Chart
- Sia – This Is Acting
- Hockey Dad – Boronia
- Mick Lindsay – This Song
- Sia – 1000 Forms Of Fear
- Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
- King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – Nonagon Infinity
- Cub Sport – This Is Our Vice
- Sticky Fingers – Caress Your Soul
- Russell Morris – Red Dirt Red Heart
- The Cat Empire – Rising With The Sun
ARIA Singles Chart
- The Chainsmokers feat. Halsey – Closer
- DJ Snake feat. Justin Bieber – Let Me Love You
- Major Lazer feat. Justin Bieber & MØ – Cold Water
- Twenty One Pilots – Heathens
- Illy feat. Vera Blue – Papercuts
- Jonas Blue – Perfect Strangers
- Shawn Mendes – Treat You Better
- Anne-Marie – Alarm
- Betty Who – I Love You Always Forever
- Calvin Harris & Rihanna – This Is What You Came For
ARIA Albums Chart
- The Amity Affliction – This Could Be Heartbreak
- Soundtrack – Suicide Squad: The Album
- Human Nature – Gimme Some Lovin’: Jukebox Vol.II
- Bernard Fanning – Civil Dusk
- Adele – 25
- Keith Urban – Ripcord
- Twenty One Pilots – Blurryface
- Delta Goodrem – Wings Of The Wild
- Beyonce – Lemonade
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – This Unruly Mess I’ve Made