This week in the music industry, Sounds Australia has been nominated for two awards for their continuous achievements in exporting fresh Australian music to international crowds and the annual Electronic Music Conference returns to Sydney for the fifth time.
Sounds Australia Recognised for their Music Export Achievements
Sounds Australia, an organisation focused on gaining international exposure for new Australian musicians, has been recognised for their efforts in the 2016 Yearly Music Convention Awards (YMCAs). On Saturday 21st of May 2016, Sounds Australia will be in the running for two YMCA awards for Best Showcase (The Aussie BBQ at Reeperbahn) and Best Export Office.
The Australian organisation is currently in the UK showcasing 18 Australian musicians, including Gordi and The Rubens, at The Great Escape 2016 music conference.
2016 Electronic Music Conference Dates Announced
The annual Electronic Music Conference (EMC) will return to Sydney from Monday 28th of November – Friday 2nd of December 2016. Founded by Junkee Media in 2012, the EMC is the largest electronic music industry event in the Asia Pacific region. Organisers currently estimate that this year, the conference will attract over 2000 local and international visitors to Sydney’s Ivy Complex.
In addition to a series of masterclasses and networking events, the 2016 EMC will also feature multiple panel discussions and guest speakers from various sections of the electronic music industry. The event will also include the 2016 inthemix Awards, which celebrates the very best of Australian electronic music. Past winners of the inthemix Awards include Australian electronic music favourites such as Flume, Peking Duck and The Presets.
Early bird ticket information for the 2016 EMC can be found HERE.
Sydney’s Vivid LIVE 2016 will be carbon neutral for the second year round. The music event will be held at the Sydney Opera House from the 27th of May – 13th of June 2016 as part of Vivid Sydney, the world’s largest festival of lights, music and ideas. More information on the event can be found HERE.
Neo-soul/R&B group The Do Yo Thangs have been signed to Melbourne’s HopeStreet Recordings.
Peter Garrett, the former frontman of Aussie rock band Midnight Oil, has just released the lead single “Tall Trees” from his debut solo album A Version of Now due on 15th of July 2016.
16-year-old French electronic musician Petit Biscuit, who’s been gathering a large online fan-base over the past year, has released his self-titled debut EP, featuring his new single “Sunset Lover”.
ARIA Singles Chart
- Drake ft.. Wizkid & Kyla – One Dance
- Calvin Harris ft. Rihanna – This Is What You Came For
- Delta Goodrem – Dear Life
- Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop the Feeling!
- The Chainsmokers ft. Daya – Don’t Let Me Down
- P!nk – Just Like Fire
- Gnash ft. Olivia O’Brien – I Hate U, I Love U
- Flume ft. Tove Lo – Say It
- Dua Lipa – Be The One
- Mike Posner – I Took A Pill In Ibiza
ARIA Albums Chart
- Keith Urban – Ripcord
- Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool
- Beyonce – Lemonade
- Adele – 25
- Drake – Views
- Prince – The Very Best Of
- Dami Im – Classic Carpenters
- Marina Prior & Mark Vincent – Together
- Kate Ceberano – Anthology
- Prince – The Hits/The B-sides
AIR 100% Independent Singles Chart
- Flume ft. Tove Lo – Say It
- Sia – Cheap Thrills
- Flume ft. Kai – Never Be Like You
- The Temper Trap – Fall Together
- Ziggy Alberts – Four Feet In The Forest EP
- The Rubens – Hoops
- Vance Joy – Fire And The Flood
- Sia – Chandelier
- Sia – Alive
- Flume ft. Vince Staples & Kucka – Smoke & Retribution
AIR 100% Independent Albums Chart
- Sia – This Is Acting
- The Screaming Jets – Chrome
- King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – Nonagon Infinity
- The Cat Empire – Rising With The Sun
- Sia – 1000 Forms of Fear
- Luca Brasi – If This Is All We’re Going to Be
- Russell Morris – Red Dirt Red Heart
- Urthboy – The Past Beats Inside Me Like A Second Heartbeat
- The Drones – Feelin Kinda Free
- Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit