This week in the music industry: the PPCA and the Australia Council announced the six recipients of their recording grants worth a total of $75,000, and Australians have voiced their support for the federal government to invest in Australian music, in an APRA AMCOS national survey.
PPCA and the Australia Council recording grants
Earlier this week, the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Limited (PPCA) and the Australia Council, announced the six recipients of their recording grants, worth a combined total of $75,000. The recording grants were first created back in October 2013 when the Australia Council first partnered with the PPCA, in hopes of helping new Australian artists create fresh local music.
This year’s grant recipients include; Sydney singer-songwriter Martha Marlow, Melbourne born jazz pianist and composer Barney McAll, Brisbane singer-songwriter Robbie Miller, 22 year old Sophie Payten aka Gordi, Sean Congues, and the New York based Australian electronic artist Johnny Mackay aka Fascinator.
Australians call for the Federal Government to invest in local music
From June 6-14th 2016, the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) and the Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (AMCOS) surveyed 9,858 Australian voters on their thoughts about the local music industry. The survey results, which were released earlier this week, showed that 98% of respondents believe the Federal Government should invest in Australian music as it’s an important part of our culture and identity. Furthermore, 72% of respondents confirmed that their votes for the upcoming federal election would be influenced by the government’s commitment to local music.
With Australia being the sixth largest music market in the world, it’s estimated that each year, the contemporary music sector contributes around $6 billion to the Australian economy. More details on the results of the APRA AMCOS survey can be found HERE.
Dustin Tebbutt has announced a national tour for his new album First Light, due on August 5th 2016. Tickets will go on sale on Tuesday June 21st.
After signing with Cooking Vinyl Australia, Mike Noga, the former drummer for The Drones, has announced his third solo album King, due on August 26th 2016.
AIR 100% Independent Singles Chart
- Flume feat. Tove Lo – Say It
- Sia – Cheap Thrills
- Flume feat. Kai – Never Be Like You
- The Temper Trap – Fall Together
- Sia – Chandelier
- Sia – Alive
- Vance Joy – Fire and the Flood
- Client Liaison – World Of Our Love
- Sia – Elastic Heart
- Vance Joy – Riptide
AIR 100% Independent Albums Chart
- Sia – This Is Acting
- The Cat Empire – Rising With The Sun
- Urthboy – The Past Beats Inside Me Like A Second Heartbeat
- King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – Nonagon Infinity
- Sia – 1000 Forms Of Fear
- Russell Morris – Red Dirt Red Heart
- Luca Brasi – If This Is All We’re Going To Be
- Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
- Camp Cope – Camp Cope
- The Screaming Jets – Chrome
ARIA Singles Chart
- Calvin Harris & Rihanna – This Is What You Came For
- Drake feat. Wizkid & Kyla – One Dance
- Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop the Feeling!
- P!nk – Just Like Fire
- Meghan Trainor – Me Too
- Flume feat. Tove Lo – Say It
- The Chainsmokers feat. Daya – Don’t Let Me Down
- DNCE – Cake by the Ocean
- Desiigner – Panda
- Galantis – No Money
ARIA Albums Chart
- Jimmy Barnes – Soul Searchin’
- Flume – Skin
- Meghan Trainor – Thank You
- Adele – 25
- Beyonce – Lemonade
- Keith Urban – Ripcord
- Drake – Views
- Prince – The Very Best Of
- Dami Im – Classic Carpenters
- The Wolfe Brothers – This Crazy Life