This year’s Booker Prize shortlist was released over night, with the prize’s website stating that “as always, the lucky winners will be the readers“.
The final six novels, whittled down from a longlist of thirteen, includes previous shortlistees Richard Powers and Damon Galgut, as well as debut novelist Patricia Lockwood and fan favourite Maggie Shipstead. Absent from the shortlist is Kazuo Ishiguro’s latest novel, Klara and the Sun.
The prize is open to any novel which was written in English and published in the UK and Ireland. The author of the winning book will receive £50,000 (around $94,000 AUD).
The full shortlist is as follows:
- The Promise – Damon Galgut
- A Passage North – Anuk Arudpragasam
- No One Is Talking About This – Patricia Lockwood
- The Fortune Men – Nadifa Mohamed
- Bewilderment – Richard Powers
- Great Circle – Maggie Shipstead
The winner will be announced on November 3rd at an event held at the BBC Radio Theatre.
For more info, check out the Booker Prize website.