Each year Vivid Sydney takes some giant steps forward, cementing the now world renowned festival as one of the very best events on the city’s calendar. This year will be no exception as the organisers continue to grow the pillars of light, music, and ideas, but also throw in a few other sizable changes, including to the food and drink side of things. One such change is a massive pop-up burger bar, no doubt inspired by the trend that is still going strong, which will be complete with arcade games and some of the best burger Chefs in town. Don’t act like this comes as a surprise.
Dubbed 8Bits+Bytes, the burger bar is a collaboration between the local creative teams at Motti+Smith and Paper Moose, who have ensured that this concept is executed exactly right, designed after a vintage 8bit arcade game with pixelated trees, clouds, and even a massive LED light wall. As Concrete Playground report, the gaming will be all interactive.
Of course, all this means nothing without a curated, high quality selection of burger royalty so legends Mary’s have come on board to join a line up that includes Milk Bar by Cafe Ish, Pub Life Kitchen, Bangbang Cafe, Sammy’s Burger Bar, and frequent collaborators Black Star Pastry and N2 Extreme Gelato. What’s more is that each burger joint will be creating an exclusive just for the pop-up, where the public are able to determine a “winner” by voting with a hashtag on social media, contributing to the real-time digital scoreboard.
Exclusive burger offerings listed are as follows:
- Our buddies at Jugernauts (@thejugernauts) have helped curate the whole thing and they’ll be jumping on board with Josh from Cafe Ish to create a Double Dribble burger which is a milk bun filled with double wagyu, double American cheddar, kimchi, green oak lettuce, miso sauce, seaweed, and aioli.
- Mary’s will be offering up a Pac Man Burger which is a twist on their most loved classic burger, with grass-fed beef, triple cheese, Mary’s BBQ sauce, and onion rings.
- Bangbang are doing a HACKRoulette (also as a collaboration with Jugernauts): a cheeseburger topped with chilli con carne, more cheese, and umami sauce, finished with a shot of pickle juice.
- Sammy’s Burger Bar are entering a creation called the Polish Pounder Burger (yet another collaboration with Jugernauts) which comes with a medium custom ground beef patty, cheese, sauerkraut, Polish slab bacon, horseradish mustard sauce, and a dill pickle on toasted brioche.
- Pub Life Kitchen are keeping their competitor a mystery until closer to the date.
- Black Star Pastry, Little Marionette, and N2 Extreme Gelato will be putting forth a special dessert burger inspired by a Tiramisu.
Sandweesh and Bar Pho will also be on hand nearby should you ever get tired of burgers. There will be a number of craft beers, ciders, and wines available at the bar.
8Bits+Bytes will be popped-up at Martin Place from May 27th to June 18th. For more info on Vivid Sydney click HERE
Source: Concrete Playground.
Image: Pub Life Kitchen
**UPDATE** (18/05/16): Black Star Pastry and N2 Gelato will also be teaming up and joining the dessert pop-up to offer an exclusive dessert burger. Copy has been changed to reflect this.