While some Australian hotels are running ambitious competitions, others are responding to the recent loosening of COVID-19 restrictions by putting together gourmet hampers for those looking to explore more of their backyard.
Between Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, the following Marriott International hotels are drawing upon their considerable reach in the local culinary scene to help pack portable picnics, encouraging people to get out and explore.
Note that all the hampers mentioned below have been packed for individuals, couples of groups of more than 5 to share. All of them can be ordered online via the respective hotel, and collected from the property’s check-in desk. These hampers will also be available as gift certificates for any upcoming special occasions.
“Hearth Afternoon Tea Hamper” at Ritz Carlton, Perth
The still-fresh Ritz Carlton, Perth and Exec. Chef Jed Gerrard have pulled together an afternoon tea hamper packed with the flavours of Western Australia. Locals would be wise to swing by this luxury hotel and pick one up before heading on to the iconic King’s Park and celebrating post-lockdown.
- Bahen & Co chocolate profiteroles
- Lemon meringue tart
- Vanilla baked cheese tart
- Scones with jam and cream
- Cambray Cheese cheddar tart
- Roast Preston Lakes beef sandwich
- Smoke Abrolhos Islands fish ham sandwich
“Get Hampered” at W Brisbane
The eternally playful W Brisbane is sticking close to the property’s famously perky personality by stringing together a playful hamper of local produce and supplies. Snacks are central to this, but the hamper also pays close attention to people’s love of lavish cheese boards.
Price: $125 (or $149 with a bottle of Chandon Brut or Rose)
- Woodside Saltbush Goat Cheese, Farmer House Willow Grove Double Brie, Charlton’s Choice Buffalo Milk Blue Cheese and Bay of Fires Cloth Bound Cheddar
- Sobrasada Mallorca Fresca; Roasted pumpkin/Zucchini and Sun-dried Tomatoes (V)
- Salads of Wild Ancient Grains, Artichoke, Walnut, Orange Dressing or Smoked Chicken with Rice Noodle Salad and a spicy Thai Dressing
- Mini Brioche & Charcoal Mini Bun; Seeded Baguette
- Mix Salted Nuts & Dry Fruit
- Pickled Pepper/Baby Onion/Baby Cornichons; Wild Australian Olives; Quince Paste; Charcoal Lavosh/Grissini
- Sweet Potato Hummus
- Desserts like Raspberry Macaroon Sliced; Coconut Lamington; Chocolate Eclairs
“Best Brews Hamper” at Four Points By Sheraton, Sydney
Make a bee-line for Four Points by Sheraton in Sydney and pick up their beer-loving hamper to tap back into the rich and varied scene of local crafts. The Best Brews Hamper will include six locally crafted beers as well as a few other treats. Just remember you can’t consumer alcohol in public though (because Australia is behind just about every other major country in the world), so keep this one for your next indoor gathering.
- Six locally crafted beers
- One bottle of Jade Estate Semillion
- Two boxes of “Beer Snacks”
- Tasting paddle gift voucher
“Hatted Hamper” at Pier One Sydney Harbour
Few hotels mirror the waters of Sydney as beautifully as Pier One Sydney Harbour, with the breezy luxury hotel a constant for the ideal harbour city staycation. The property’s enviable location is reflected in the culinary chops of hatted restaurant The Gantry as well, with Head Chef Thom Gorringe priding the kitchen on fresh seafood. So what else to expect but fine, top-shelf seafood when it comes to these gourmet hampers. Pop by here, pick one up, and make a harbourside picnic of it.
- Balmain bugs
- Cooked prawns
- Salmon rillettes
- Fresh Australian Rock Oysters
- Artisan bread
“Sweet Delight High Tea Hamper” by Melbourne Marriott
The very centrally located Melbourne Marriott is already well positioned to put together a quality hamper, seeing as they are surrounded by some of the country’s best food-producing regions. Instead of going with the expected Victorian route of wine and cheese, they’ve put together a dessert-themed hamper to the sweet toothed picnic-goer.
- Red velvet cupcakes
- Donut dunker cookies
- Scones with jam and whipped cream
- Tea selection
- Picnic basket with accompanying blanket and portable beverage bottle
Plenty of other Marriott hotels across Australia are also putting together their own hampers. Click here for more information.
Feature image from Pier One Sydney Harbour.