During these unprecedented times, when staying at home is of the utmost importance, us here at The AU Review are going to be doing everything we can to help readers live their best lives, indoors.
As with many other media companies who typically focus on getting folks out and about, we’re shifting to adapt to the necessary lock-downs taking place all over the world. One way we’ll be doing so is simply by sharing our favourite recipes.
Over the next few weeks (or months, who knows) we’ll be publishing the cocktail and food recipes that we find most exciting, so that when you aren’t ordering in to support your favourite venues, you’ll know enough to quickly throw together some top-class concoctions
Eggs Benedict w/ Smoked Salmon on a Toasted Croissant
No doubt more than a few of you will be treating mum to breakfast in bed this Mother’s Day. So here’s a simple recipe we’ve sourced from The Fullerton Hotel Sydney, where Chef de Cuisine Kenny Kong plates up a simple eggs benny with smoked salmon on a toasted croissant. This classic dish is simple to create and assemble, with step-by-step instructions listed below. Feel free to get creative with the ingredients, and wash it down with a Mimosa of Mum’s choice. The recipe serves one.
- 1 croissant, halved
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 slices smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 egg yolk
- 125g melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Half-fill one saucepan (saucepan 1) with water and add vinegar for poaching the eggs and set aside.
- Half-fill another saucepan (saucepan 2) with water, boil the water and reduce to a gentle simmer to prepare the hollandaise sauce.
- Place the egg yolks and white wine vinegar into a mixing bowl and sit on top of the simmering water in saucepan 2, gently whisking the egg mixture until it begins to emulsify.
- Add the melted butter to the mixture and continue whisking until the mixture’s texture is a ribbon-like consistency.
- Remove the mixing bowl from heat, and add lemon juice, cayenne pepper and salt to the mixture. Gently mix the ingredients together, before covering the mixture and setting the mixing bowl aside.
- In saucepan 1, bring the water and vinegar to a boil and stir the water with a spatula in a circular motion.
- Carefully place the two eggs into the water, one at a time. Cook eggs until the white is firm but the yolk is still runny, approximately 3½ – 4 minutes.
- Toast each side of the croissant in a toaster for 4-5 minutes or in an oven preheated to 180°C for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once toasted, place both pieces of croissant face-up in the middle of a plate and layer the smoked salmon slices on top of each piece of croissant.
- Remove the poached eggs from saucepan 1, and place on a separate plate layered with kitchen paper towels to remove the excess water from the poached eggs.
- lace one poached egg on each piece of croissant and spoon the hollandaise sauce directly on top of the poached eggs.
- Serve immediately with freshly cracked pepper sprinkled on top.
The Fullerton Hotel Sydney is located at 1 Martin Pl, Sydney NSW 2000.