Ghanian-born/Sydney-based rapper and producer Yawdoesitall is quickly cementing himself as one of the country’s most promising emerging hip hop acts. The exciting artist dropped his highly-anticipated debut EP Life I Chose last Friday and it’s already making waves.
Recorded himself at his home studio, the seven-track project is equally chill and hype with a unique blend of live and programmed instrumentation. Yawdoesitall’s silken cadence and versatile flows let the glossy vocals shine through the lush and sometimes gritty beats. Featuring the singles “Switch” and “G.Y.M.”, Life I Chose draws influence from artists like Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar in a representation of his own ambition and energy on this debut offering.
“Life I Chose documents my journey into Yawdoesitall,” the artist explains. “It’s a decision, it describes my step into creativity. In my family, I stepped out of the usual “Be a doctor, be a lawyer” and what was expected of me, instead, taking a risk. To instead pursue the arts, taking photos and making music.
“The process felt long. It feels like a timestamp on the progress of Yawdoesitall. There is one of the first songs I ever wrote on the EP and there are songs that I only wrote a few months ago!”
In support of the EP, Yawdoesitall put together his five must-know Sydney producers and songwriters to get around.
- Miinorbeatz – I definitely think Miinor is one of the best from Sydney, if not the country. I think Bennie producing for Travis or Drake will be a match made in heaven. Something I’m just waiting for.
- Tawanda – One of the best lyricists I know. I’ve had the privilege to hear unreleased songs and I’m just mad it’s not even out yet. I reckon his way of tackling a song is very unique, something I’m legit learning how to do currently.
- Sollyy – Watching my brother grow into this legend is amazing and I feel he needs to be known by everyone in this country.
- Mawuli – This is a personal one as I’ve had the chance to produce for this superstar and I can’t wait for everyone to hear the songs she’s got. It’s amazing and I feel everyone should jump on board.
- Yasmina – This is another talent that I’ve had a chance to see do their magic. She’s amazing and writes songs like it’s breathing. This is one of the best talents from Sydney and I can’t wait to see them take off.
Yawdoesitall has supported Baker Boy on an eight-date regional tour of Victoria, sold out The Vanguard in Sydney twice and has amassed over 300K streams. Life I Chose is sure to garner the emerging talent the recognition he deserves and launch him onto festival stages in no time. Stay connected on Facebook and Instagram for regular updates.