This week in the music industry: public voting for the People’s Choice categories of the inaugural National Live Music Awards opened, a new study by Edith Cowan University has estimated the West Australian contemporary music industry to be worth around $1billion, and the Americana Music Association of Australia is officially launching in Sydney this week.
Voting for the National Live Music Awards’ People’s Choice categories
Public voting for the inaugural National Live Music Awards are open from now until the 22nd of November. The two people’s choice award categories are for “Live Act of the Year” and “Live Voice of the Year”.
The nominees for the “Live Act of the Year: The People’s Choice” category are;
- All Our Exes Live in Texas
- Ball Park Music
- Camp Cope
- Gang of Youths
- High Tension
- Little Sea
- The Beards
- The John Steel Singers, and
- Tired Lion.
The nominees for the “Live Voice of the Year: The People’s Choice” category are;
- Colin Lillie
- Ella Thompson (GL, Dorsal Fins)
- George Maple
- Josh Pyke
- Matt Corby
- Ruby Boots
- Tkay Maidza, and
- Vera Blue.
You can vote for each category through the National Live Music Awards’ official Facebook page. Everyone who votes goes into the draw to win a SONOS Player and a two-year premium subscription to Spotify. Runner up prizes, including Spotify pass and VIP tickets to the NLA event in your State or Territory, are also available.
You can also check out each of the 2016 nominees’ music through exclusive Spotify playlists by searching “National Live Music Awards” on the Spotify mobile or desktop app.
WA contemporary music industry worth around $1 billion
During the last few years, we’ve seen numerous West Australian musicians such as Troye Sivan and Tame Impala achieve great success in the international music scene. So it comes with no surprise that earlier this week, a study conducted by Edith Cowan University (ECU) for West Australian Music (WAM) found the state’s contemporary music industry to be worth almost $1billion.
The industry study, which is the first of its kind in WA, found the contemporary music industry to be directly responsible for creating almost 3,000 full time jobs, providing a total salary of around $149million. The study also found that for every extra dollar invested into the industry, the economic benefit would be more than doubled, highlighting the fact that investing in contemporary music can have huge positive impacts on not only culture but the local economy as well.
Researchers estimated the total impact of the contemporary music industry on WA’s economy to be much larger as the study only included people listing the industry as their primary profession.
The official launch of Americana Music Association of Australia
This week, at the annual Australian Music Week conference in Sydney, Jed Hilly, the President of the Americana Music Association (AMA), officially launched the Americana Music Association of Australia (AMAA). Americana is a contemporary genre of music that consists of a unique combination of the distinctive elements of roots-based music such as country, folk, bluegrass and rhythm and blues.
The AMAA is a non-profit organisation aiming to foster the enjoyment, growth and recognition of Americana music in Australia by increasing the amount of information, support, and opportunities available to Australian artists interested in the Americana genre.
“It’s a big job, but we are focusing on achieving our goals through activities that encourage understanding, networking and collaboration,” said Adam Simon, the Vice President of the Americana Music Association of Australia.
Yesterday night, the winners of the 2016 WAMAwards were announced at a sold-out event held at the Gate One Theatre, Perth’s newest live music venue located at the Claremont Showgrounds. The full list of the night’s winners can be found here.
AIR 100% Independent Singles Chart
- Sia feat. Kendrick Lamar – The Greatest
- Flume feat. Tove Lo – Say It
- Sia – Cheap Thrills
- Tash Sultana – Jungle
- Sia – Confetti
- Sia – Chandelier
- Sia – Alive
- Bliss N Eso feat. Thief – Dopamine
- Vance Joy – Fire and the Flood
- Mansionair – Easier
AIR 100% Independent Albums Chart
- Sia – This Is Acting
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Skeleton Tree
- Sia – 1000 Forms Of Fear
- Russell Morris – Red Dirt Red Heart
- Twelve Foot Ninja – Outlier
- Sticky Fingers – Caress Your Soul
- The Delta Riggs – Active Galactic
- Ball Park Music – Every Night The Same Dream
- Camp Cope – Camp Cope
- Big Scary – Animal
ARIA Singles Chart
- James Arthur – Say You Won’t Let Go
- The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk – Starboy
- The Chainsmokers feat. Halsey – Closer
- Little Mix – Shout Out To My Ex
- Calum Scott – Dancing On My Own
- Hailee Steinfeld – Starving
- Bruno Mars – 24K Magic
- Sia feat. Kendrick Lamar – The Greatest
- Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj – Side to Side
- The Chainsmokers feat. Phoebe Ryan – All We Know
ARIA Albums Chart
- Jessica Mauboy – The Secret Daughter (Songs from the TV Series)
- Lady Gaga – Joanne
- Michael Buble – Nobody But Me
- Elvis Presley – The Wonder of You: Elvis Presley with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
- Korn – The Serenity of Suffering
- Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker
- Various – Triple J’s Like A Version 12
- I Prevail – Lifelines
- Kings of Leon – Walls
- Barry Gibb – In The Now