This week in the music industry: AMIN asks political parties to endorse their $5million music fund proposal ahead of the federal election, and Brisbane’s annual BIGSOUND Festival released their first set of lineups for 2016.
AMIN’s $5 million music fund proposal
Ahead of the 2016 federal election on Saturday July 2nd, the Australian Music Industry Network (AMIN) have urged the contesting political parties to endorse their proposal for the creation of a “Contemporary Music Fund”. The proposed program will require the federal government to set aside an extra $5 million per year, to support the Australian music industry.
The proposed funding program will be seperate from the existing Australia Council and Catalyst Fund programs, and will focus on supporting various state and territory music organisations to help promote and foster new Aussie musicians.
AMIN’s request for political support for their proposal comes after last week’s release of a new national survey results, conducted by APRA AMCOS, in which 72% of the participants confirmed that their election votes would be influenced by the government’s commitment to local music.
Currently, Australia is the sixth largest music market in the world, with contemporary music contributing around $6 billion of revenue to the Australian economy every single year.
BIGSOUND Festival 2016 lineup
This week, the first list of musical lineups for the 2016 BIGSOUND festival was released. Held at Brisbane’s Fortitude Valley from September 7-9th 2016, the music festival will feature numerous fresh Aussie musical talent such as Alex Lahey, Gabriella Cohen, Tash Sultana and Mere Women, along with some international musicians including Fazerdaze (NZ) and Prateek Kuhad (India).
The BIGSOUND music conference will be held alongside the music festival, and will feature presentations from international guest speakers such as Taylor Testa from Universal Publishing and Jim Pitt from Conan O’Brien.
Tickets for both the festival and the conference are on sale now.
Meat Loaf has announced the release of his fourth studio album Braver Than We Are, due on September 16, 2016. Created in collaboration with Jim Steinman, the album will feature the new single “Going All the Way”, now available on iTunes.
KUČKA has signed with new management company incgnto.
Folk singer/songwriter Lina Tullgren has signed on to Captured Tracks/Remote Control, and released a new EP Wishlist.
Entries for the annual Global Music Awards has opened. Global Music Awards is an international music competition that recognises original music from professional musicians, composers, faculty and students. Entries close on September 2, 2016. More info can be found HERE.
AIR 100% Independent Singles Chart
- Flume feat. Tove Lo – Say It
- Sia – Cheap Thrills
- Flume feat. Kai – Never Be Like You
- Hayden James – Just a Lover
- Vance Joy – Riptide
- The Temper Trap – Fall Together
- Sia – Chandelier
- Vance Joy – Fire and the Flood
- Sia – Alive
- Client Liaison – World Of Our Love
AIR 100% Independent Albums Chart
- Sia – This Is Acting
- The Cat Empire – Rising With The Sun
- Luca Brasi – If This Is All We’re Going To Be
- King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – Nonagon Infinity
- Russell Morris – Red Dirt Red Heart
- Sia – 1000 Forms Of Fear
- Urthboy – The Past Beats Inside Me Like A Second Heartbeat
- Camp Cope – Camp Cope
- Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
- Sticky Fingers- Caress Your Soul
ARIA Singles Chart
- Drake feat. Wizkid & Kyla – One Dance
- Calvin Harris & Rihanna – This Is What You Came For
- Drake feat. Rihanna – Too Good
- Justin Timberlake – Can’t Stop the Feeling!
- Meghan Trainor – Me Too
- The Chainsmokers feat. Daya – Don’t Let Me Down
- Desiigner – Panda
- P!nk – Just Like Fire
- Flume feat. Tove Lo – Say It
- DNCE – Cake by the Ocean
ARIA Albums Chart
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – The Getaway
- Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool
- Adele – 25
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Greatest Hits
- Beyonce – Lemonade
- Meghan Trainor – Thank You
- Keith Urban – Ripcord
- Drake – Views
- Flume – Skin
- Jimmy Barnes – Soul Searching’