This week in the music industry, Music Victoria announces new gender diversity policy, Sounds Australia fails to secure further government funding, and a new live music subscription service GiggedIn launches in Melbourne.
Music Victoria’s New Gender Diversity Policy
In their “Women in the Victorian Contemporary Music Industry” survey conducted in April 2015, Music Victoria highlighted some of the key issues faced by women in the Australian music industry. The issues included; wage inequality, access to opportunities, the “confidence gap”, the general undervaluing of music, and sexual harassment.
Following on from the results of the survey, Music Victoria which has a 50/50 gender split on its company board, has just announced their new gender diversity policy. The organisation announced that it will make sure that women make up at least 40% of all participation in its activities.
Music Victoria will also be publishing annual reports in order to track its progress towards its gender equality target. More information on the new policy can be found HERE.
Sounds Australia Fails to Secure Catalyst Funding
The Australasian Music Publishers Association (AMPAL) announced this week that Sounds Australia has failed to secure further funding from the federal government’s Catalyst arts funding program.
Organised by the Ministry for the Arts, Catalyst is the coalition government’s new funding program focused on supporting various national arts programs and organisations. Unfortunately, Sounds Australia, a national contemporary music export initative, will not receive further government funding after December 31st, 2016.
According to AMPAL, the lack of funding for Sounds Australia will mean that the program will not be able to offer its full annual program after 2016.
GiggedIn to Officially Launch in Melbourne
After a successful debut in Sydney, GiggedIn, the new live music subscription service will be officially launching in Melbourne on May 25th, 2016.
Much like other subscription services such as Netflix, for a monthly fee of $35, GiggedIn subscribers will get access to a wide range of live concert tickets across Melbourne. In addition, GiggedIn will also be organising their own member exclusive live performance shows, such as their official launch performance featuring Australian singer and rapper Tkay Maidza at the Howler on Wednesday May 25th, 2016.
Subscription information can be found HERE.
Los Angeles based indie-punk duo Sego has released their debut LP Once Was Lost Now Just Hanging Around.
Manu Crook$ has been announced as the winner of this year’s Triple j Unearthed. The Aussie rapper will be performing at Come Together 2016 festival alongside Drapht, All Day, Gill Bates, Mallrat, Tuka, Spit Syndicate and Dylan Joel. Ticket information can be found HERE.
Friday Nights at NGV will return this year from Friday June 24th – Friday September 16th, 2016. Ticket information can be found HERE.
SUM 41 has celebrated their 20th anniversary by signing on to Los Angeles based Hopeless Records. The band will be releasing their first album in five years later in 2016.
Sydney based hip-hop artist L-FRESH The LION has released his new album BECOME today.
ARIA Singles Chart
- Drake ft.. Wizkid & Kyla – One Dance
- Calvin Harris ft. Rihanna – This Is What You Came For
- Gnash ft. Olivia O’Brien – I Hate U, I Love U
- P!nk – Just Like Fire
- The Chainsmokers ft. Daya – Don’t Let Me Down
- Mike Posner – I Took A Pill In Ibiza
- Flume ft. Tove Lo – Say It
- Dua Lipa – Be The One
- Fifth Harmony ft. Ty Dolla $ign – Work From Home
- Lukas Graham – 7 Years
ARIA Albums Chart
- Drake – Views
- Beyonce – Lemonade
- Adele – 25
- Dami Im – Classic Carpenters
- Marina Prior & Mark Vincent – Together
- Prince – The Very Best Of
- Disturbed – Immortalized
- Rob Zombie – The Electric Warlock Acid With Satanic Orgy Celebration Dispenser
- Sixx:A.M. – Prayers For the Damned
- Josh Groban – Stages (Live)
AIR 100% Independent Singles Chart
- Flume ft. Tove Lo – Say It
- Sia – Cheap Thrills
- Flume ft. Kai – Never Be Like You
- The Temper Trap – Fall Together
- The Rubens – Hoops
- Vance Joy – Fire And The Flood
- Sia – Alive
- Sia – Chandelier
- Sia – Elastic Heart
- Flume ft. Vince Staples & Kucka – Smoke & Retribution
AIR 100% Independent Albums Chart
- Luca Brasi – If This Is All We’re Going to Be
- King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – Nonagon Infinity
- Sia – This Is Acting
- The Cat Empire – Rising With The Sun
- Sia – 1000 Forms Of Fear
- Russell Morris – Red Dirt Red Heart
- The Jezabels – Synthia
- Camp Cope – Camp Cope
- Urthboy – The Past Beats Inside Me Like A Second Heartbeat
- The Drones – Feelin Kinda Free